August 3-7, 2022
The 65th Annual Francis J. Robinson Memorial International Tournament is named after a local tennis player, Lt. Francis J. Robinson, a young serviceman who died in a military flight training mission in July 1958. A group of Lt. Robinson’s friends started a small tennis tournament in his honor that same summer. The “Robinson” has grown into a local event that has drawn between 200-400 participants annually, ranging in divisions from 10 & under to 60 & over and is considered one of the longest running community tennis tournaments in the United States.
We’re thrilled to announce Murphy Jensen, former ATP Pro, is our Special Guest! See below for more about Murphy and the Kick-Off Clinics & Exhibition Match on July 31st! Find your doubles and mixed partners, turn in your entry forms, and register for the FUN!
The Robinson goes round-robin again this year!
Round-robin tournaments provide a competitive environment benefiting all players. Flights will be comprised of players of like age and ability. We continue encouraging a wider spectrum of participants to enjoy the Robinson experience! Everyone has the opportunity to play several matches against players of similar skill while enjoying the best tennis week of the summer.
Please stay tuned for additional details as we continue to plan for a fun week! Watch for more information and follow the PHTH on Facebook for updates. Thank you!
- T-Shirt Design Contest
- Register to Play
- Remind Text Updates - Sign Up!
- Schedule of Play
- Round Robin Format & Rules
- Become a Sponsor
- 10&U Kids Play Day - FREE!
- Special Guest MURPHY JENSEN, Former ATP Pro!
- Sunday Create Your Own Tailgate!
- Awards Ceremony, Special Award Winners
- FLIGHTS--TIMES, LOCATIONS, RESULTS
Congratulations to Matt Vargo who won the T-Shirt Design Contest!
Thank you to everyone who submitted their designs for the contest. We received 7 creative entries for consideration — you all made it a tough decision for the Robinson Committee!
T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST – DEADLINE WAS JULY 11th
Put your inspiration & personality on the Robinson T-Shirt!
We’re excited to see your artwork!
The winning designer will receive a $50 GIFT CARD and enter the tournament for FREE!
Deadline for design entries is July 11th.
REGISTER TO PLAY
- 2022 Robinson Entry Form – Download/print/complete the entry form and submit to the PHTH.
- Entry Deadline is Thursday, July 28th at 5pm.
- Entry fee is $40/player which includes all three events and a t-shirt. Payments may be cash or check/money order payable to “The Robinson.” Entry fee cannot be charged to PHTH accounts.
- Each player will provide one new can of balls to the tournament desk upon check-in.
- Balls are supplied for the Finals.
- Each player may enter up to three events (one singles, one doubles, and one mixed doubles).
- Each player must submit an entry form, including doubles & mixed partners entered in no other events.
- All players – please sign up for REMIND TEXT UPDATES. See the Remind Text Updates tab for instructions.
- Follow the results on the Draws/Flight Assignments tab and the PHTH Facebook page for updates.
REMIND TEXT UPDATES
Players, please sign up for Remind Text Updates. We will use text messages to communicate important info about check-in, inclement weather, adjustments to match play start times, and any other essential Robinson news. Follow one of links below to register.
How it works:
- The link will send you to Remind’s join site. The “Class Code” will be automatically filled in (@rob22a-m OR @rob22n-z).
- Click on the Join button.
- Enter you first and last name along with your mobile phone number.
- Click the Sign up button.
- You’ll get notifications via text message.
You’re all set! If you are unable to sign up or have any questions, please contact Coach Steve at (810) 434-2371.
SCHEDULE OF PLAY
- Matches must be played as scheduled.
- Mixed Doubles Finals will be played on Saturday. All other Finals will be played on Sunday.
- Due to limited available court time and the number of matches to be played, flight participants may NOT independently re-schedule match times.
- Kid’s Play Day start time will be approximately 1pm.
- Official flights & start times will be available online by 5pm, Monday, August 1st .
- Follow the PHTH Facebook page for updates!
- If you have questions, please contact Tournament Director, Steve Pillon, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (810) 434-2371.
ROUND-ROBIN FORMAT & RULES – READ CAREFULLY – CHANGES SINCE 2021
Flights will be comprised of players of like ability.
Flight sizes will fluctuate based on the number of entries. Groups will consist of approximately 4 to 8 teams, with larger flights split into two groups.
Each flight will be assigned a captain who will track match scores in the Flight Booklet and report results to the Tournament Director.
SCORING – Please review carefully
- Round-robin matches will be NO-AD pro-sets. Flight sizes will determine the total games per set played (6, 8 or 10 game pro-sets will be assigned to each flight after groupings are established). A 7-point set tiebreak will be played at 5-5, 7-7, or 9-9 using the Coman format (see #6 below).
- A 7-Point Set Tiebreak is first to 7 points, win by 2. The player whose turn it is to serve will serve one point, starting from the Deuce side. Thereafter, each player/team serves in rotation for 2 points (Ad side, then Deuce side). Change ends of the court after the first point, then after every 4 points.
- The top 2 players/teams based on win/loss record from each flight advance to the Finals (or the top player/team from a split flight – a large flight that was split into two groups).
- In the case of a tie in standings, the players/teams advancing to the Finals will be decided, in order, by: (1) head-to-head results, (2) games won, (3) fewest games lost. If still tied, a random drawing will be used.
- Finals will be 2 out of 3 sets, Ad scoring, with a 10-point Super-Tiebreak (first to 10, win by two) for the third set. Set tiebreaks will be first to 7, win by two.
- All tiebreaks will use the Coman format. The player/team who would serve next in the rotation will serve first. The first server begins from the Deuce court and serves one point. Thereafter, each player/team serves in rotation for 2 points (Ad side then Deuce side), until the winner has been decided. Players/teams change ends after the first point, then after every four points. If the first set ended in a tiebreak, then the player/team that received first in the tiebreak will serve first in the second set. The 3rd Set (10-point Super-Tiebreak) is treated like a new set, therefore either player on a doubles team can serve first.
BECOME A SPONSOR
We would like to express sincere appreciation and gratitude to the sponsors for their support of this year’s Robinson. The tournament’s success is further achieved through generous support and helps provide our tennis community the benefit of special guests, events and activities.
Please contact Jim Charron at (810) 841-5733 if you would like to sponsor the Robinson.
The Sponsor list will be updated as the tournament approaches. Thank you, sponsors!
|Port Huron Tennis House||Oppenheimer & Co./
Jim Charron & Ryan Charron
|MiMutual Mortgage||Glenn & Jane Johnson|
|Vintage Tavern||Blue Dragon Acupuncture/
|Jeff & Maureen Blackman||Lozen, Davidson & Kovar P.C.|
|Tracy Stablein & Family||The Evenson Family|
|Dave & Wendy Pillon||Art & Sue Smith|
|Tom & Lesia Fodell||T.C. Goldman & Associates|
|Touma Watson Whaling Coury & Castello PC||Steve & Kristin Pillon|
|Todd & Kristy Kinney|
10 & UNDER KIDS PLAY DAY
Saturday, August 6, 2022 @ 1-2pm outside at the Sanborn Park Tennis Courts
All 10 & Under kids with or without tennis experience are invited!
Not ready to play in the Robinson? No problem! Be a part of the tournament at Kids Play Day! Kid-sized courts and equipment provide a fun introduction to tennis! Kids will be on 36 ft & 60 ft courts using low-compression balls and smaller rackets. We’ll have helpers on every court. Plus, fun activities — contests, games, crafts, prizes, snacks, and refreshments! Join in the fun – get in the game!
HOW TO REGISTER & CHECK-IN ON “KIDS DAY”
- Click on the poster/picture in the upper right corner to register using our Google Form (complete one form for EACH child you are registering).
- Please check in @ 12:45pm at the tournament tent by the Sanborn Park outdoor tennis courts.
- It’s FREE to participate and everyone will get a FREE t-shirt.
- If it rains, the event will move inside the Port Huron Tennis House.
- The registration deadline is Monday, August 1st @ 5pm.
- If you have questions please contact Tournament Director, Steve Pillon, at email@example.com or 810-434-2371.
CLICK ON THIS FLYER TO REGISTER!
SPECIAL GUEST, MURPHY JENSEN
OPENS THE 65TH ROBINSON ON JULY 31ST!
Kick-Off Clinics & Exhibition Match!
Sunday, July 31st at Sanborn Park Tennis Courts
(we will move inside the Port Huron Tennis House if it rains)
|SESSION 1||9:00-10:30am||Adults Intermediate|
|SESSION 2||10:30-12:00pm||Juniors Intermediate|
|SESSION 3||12:30-2:00pm||Adults & Juniors Advanced|
|EXHIBITION MATCH||2:15-3:30pm||Everyone is invited!|
We are delighted to announce Murphy Jensen is our special guest for the 65th Robinson!
Murphy is the 1993 French Open Doubles Champion (partner & brother, Luke Jensen) with a Career High World Doubles Ranking of #5 over a 10 1/2 year career on the ATP! Murphy has been the Coach of the Washington Kastles of World Team Tennis for the past 13 years, and he was also a TV host for Tennis Channel from 2004-2010. Murphy has coached tennis superstars including Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, Nick Kyrgios, Leander Paes, Victoria Azarenka, Francis Tiafoe, and many more. In addition to his success as a professional tennis player, Murphy continues his passion of supporting and advocating for those with substance use disorders as the co-founder and EVP of corporate development for WEconnect Health Management.
Murphy is from Ludington, MI! He and his brother, Luke, attended East Grand Rapids High School.
Murphy is beginning our 2022 Robinson week
with Kick-Off Clinics and an Exhibition Match!
Start your Robinson off with fun drills, games
and tips from Murphy, plus watch some exhibition tennis!
We are excited to have Kate’s Downtown at Sanborn Park! Plan to get a smoothie, some fruit, and a sammie or wrap at Kate’s!
Hours will be shared soon, but plan to have cash or credit to purchase a variety of beverages, snacks and baked goods available at Kate’s tent – YUM!
SUNDAY CREATE YOUR OWN TAILGATE
- Sunday, August 7th
- Singles & Doubles Finals
- Sunday BBQ and “Create Your Tailgate”
- The Port Huron Tennis House invites everyone to enjoy served by Big River BBQ! The PHTH provides the burgers, hot dogs and brats with all the fixin’s!
- Create Your Tailgate! Bring your own side dishes and set up your group’s Sunday Tailgate!
- We always look forward to sharing great company and a great bite from Big River while watching the finalists compete for the championships!
- The Awards Ceremony will follow the final match of the day.
- Sunday is special as we get together with friends and family, celebrate the events of the week, and support all the players who participated in this year’s tournament!
- Stay to applaud the Champs and Finalists!
SPECIAL AWARD WINNERS
Francis J. Robinson Sportsmanship Award – The most coveted of the tournament, the Robinson Award is given to the player who demonstrates sportsmanship throughout Robinson week and beyond. This athlete has a love and passion for the game, contributes to our sport through honest and fair competition, and is respected by other players.
Congratulations to this year’s winner of the Robinson Award, Beth Tseng!
Myron Lee Spirit Award – The Robinson Committee first presented this award in 2021 to honor Myron Lee. Myron was a kind, helpful, positive person who shared his love for tennis with family & friends. Myron’s quiet yet genuine enthusiasm for practice and competition was contagious. The Spirit Award award is given to a player who embodies good spirit both on and off the court, inspires others through their passion for tennis, and encourages participation in all aspects of our tennis community.
Congratulations to this year’s winners of the Myron Lee Spirit Award, Traci Whymer and Lew Evenson!
Mike Clary Junior Tennis Award – This award is in memory of Mike Clary, an outstanding player and instructor at the Tennis House who passed away in 1991. Mike was a top junior and adult competitor who enjoyed working with the kids in the junior program. This award is given to a junior player who works hard on their game and shows great dedication to tennis.
Congratulations to this year’s winner of the Mike Clary Award, Derek Distelrath!
Find Flights TIMES, LOCATIONS & RESULTS at the links below.
If necessary, be sure to use the “left/right” scroll arrow tool on the bottom right of the spreadsheets to see all the Flights.
As we celebrate our 65th Anniversary, our Special Guest is former ATP World #5 Doubles player, Murphy Jensen!
Learn more about Murphy below, and register for our July 31st Kick-Off Clinics & Exhibition Match!